Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly JMP update!
In case it’s been a while since you checked out JMP, here’s a refresher: JMP lets you send and receive text and picture messages (and calls) through a real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else that has an XMPP client. JMP’s tagline, “Freedom For Your Phone Number”, captures the freedom that JMP gives you from traditional cell phone carriers, as well as the fully-free nature of all the software that powers JMP (licensed entirely under AGPLv3+).
The big news for this month is the release of our brand new JMP account bot! If you want to jump right in, you can talk to it at firstname.lastname@example.org - now for some details:
- The bot lets you see your daily usage statistics for voice and text messages (via the ‘u’ command), now with the option to browse back beyond the last 30 days to see your historical usage as well.
- By popular demand, you can see your JMP number (via the ‘n’ command), in case you forgot. :)
- You can now automatically confirm your plan details (via the ‘p’ command), i.e. to see if you have a trial account (and how long you have left in your trial period) or if you’ve upgraded to a paid account, and to check how the account is being paid. NOTE: The limits shown in the plan details are currently soft caps - we don’t yet charge per-minute beyond the included voice allotment.
- As we at JMP add new payment and plan options over the coming months, you will be able to use other features in the JMP account bot to do things like add funds to your account, switch your payment method, or change to a different JMP plan if you like.
- You can find the source code at https://gitlab.com/ossguy/jmp-acct_bot if you’re interested - merge requests and issue reports/feature requests welcome!
We just launched the JMP account bot yesterday so we’re very interested to hear how people like it, and whether you have any comments or suggestions. If you do, simply reply to this email to let us know! We’re always happy to hear from you!
In other news, we had a great time at LibrePlanet, an annual free/libre software conference that took place at MIT during the last weekend of March. In addition to the talk that JMP’s founder gave (video and slides), we donated some 3-year JMP subscriptions in the raffle, and ran a booth all weekend, where we had some great discussions about phone (number) freedom, signed up a bunch of people for JMP, and handed out lots of stickers and pamphlets. It was great to see many of you there!
And we’re already looking forward to our next conference, which will be The Circle of HOPE, happening July 20-22 at the Hotel Pennsylvania in New York City. HOPE, also known as Hackers On Planet Earth, is a bi-annual conference described as “one of the most creative and diverse hacker events in the world”. We’ll generally be around during the conference, and we plan to have a booth there (pending confirmation), where you’ll be able to meet some of us (including the founder), pay for JMP anonymously in cash if you like, and/or just hang out or chat with us!
If you’d like to know what’s happening with JMP between emails like this, here are some ways you can find out:
- follow us on Twitter
- find us in xmpp:email@example.com?join - a group chat accessible from most XMPP clients, and on the web
- signup for the 30-day free trial at https://jmp.chat/#signup and try it out!
We are plugging away on the different payment options that we plan to have ready by the end of this year (hopefully much sooner), including automated Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin payments (you can already pay with these, but you need to contact support to do so) and more non-PayPal options for conventional currencies. We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop on all the new developments.
Thanks for reading and have a great week! We hope to see some of you at HOPE in July!