Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly JMP update, coming to you from our “fancy” new Mailman setup!
In case it’s been a while since you checked out JMP, here’s a refresher: JMP lets you send and receive text and picture messages through a real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else that has an XMPP client. JMP’s tagline, “Freedom for SMS”, captures the freedom that JMP gives you from traditional cell phone carriers, as well as the fully-free nature of all the software that powers JMP (licensed entirely under AGPLv3+).
Here’s what’s been going on with JMP and Soprani.ca over the past month and a bit:
- yesterday we launched an automated number porting wizard so you can bring your existing number to JMP even more easily than before, just fill out a simple form and we’ll take care of the rest - you can find it at https://jmp.chat/sp1a/porting1/ (also linked from https://jmp.chat/ )
- we had a great time at Radical Networks last month - check out the video from our talk on JMP and Soprani.ca at https://livestream.com/accounts/686369/radnets17/videos/164804778 - for more about the conference, see http://radicalnetworks.org/about/
- as you’ll see in the above video, we soft launched WOM there - it’s a planned community-run radio network that allows people to chat over long distances with their peers; if you’re interested in running a WOM node, you can join the WOM Operatives list at https://wom.community/operatives
- as usual, a variety of bug fixes and minor improvements were added; for a complete list, see:
And here’s what’s coming up in the somewhat distant future:
A number of people that work on JMP, including JMP’s founder and lead developer, will be at LibrePlanet, which is happening March 24-25 in the Boston area. If you’re interested in free/libre software (like JMP), this is really the conference to be at. Registration, and further info, are here: https://libreplanet.org/2018/ We hope to see you there!
If you’d like to know what’s happening with JMP between emails like this, here are some ways you can find out:
- follow us on Twitter
- find us in xmpp:firstname.lastname@example.org?join - a group chat accessible from most XMPP clients, and on the web
- signup for the 30-day free trial at https://jmp.chat/#signup and try it out!
Our current top priorities for next features (roughly in order) are: behind-the-scenes work to make JMP more scalable, additional plan and payment options, and official Bitcoin payment support (we already accept it unofficially - reply for details). We’ll be sure to keep you in the loop on all the new developments.
Thanks for reading and have a great week!