Welcome to the latest edition of your pseudo-monthly JMP update!
In case it’s been a while since you checked out JMP, here’s a refresher: JMP lets you send and receive text and picture messages (and calls) through a real phone number right from your computer, tablet, phone, or anything else that has a Jabber client. Among other things, JMP has these features: Your phone number on every device; Multiple phone numbers, one app; Free as in Freedom; Share one number with multiple people.
Automatic refill for users of the data plan is in testing now. That should be fully automated a bit later this month and will pave the way for the end of the waiting list, at least for existing JMP customers.
There have also been several releases of the Cheogram Android app (latest is 2.12.8-2) with new features including:
- Support for animated avatars
- Show “hats” in the list of channel participants
- An option to show related channels from the channel details area
- Emoji and sticker autocomplete by typing ‘:’ (allows sending custom emoji)
- Tweaks to thread UI, including no more auto-follow by default in channels
- Optionally allow notifications for replies to your messages in channels
- Allow selecting text and quoting the selection
- Allow requesting voice when you are muted in a channel
- Send link previews
- Support for SVG images, avatars, etc.
- Long press send button for media options
- WebXDC importFiles and sendToChat support, allowing, for example, import and export of calendars from the calendar app
- Fix Command UI in tablet mode
- Manage permissions for channel participants with a dialog instead of a submenu
- Ask if you want to moderate all recent messages by a user when banning them from a channel
- Show a long streak of moderated messages as just one indicator
To learn what’s happening with JMP between newsletters, here are some ways you can find out:
- The chatroom remains the heart of the community. You can also join from your web browser or from Matrix.
- The blog, where you may be reading this. It can also be followed in a client like Movim.
- The Lemmy Community
- The Subreddit
- On Twitter
Thanks for reading and have a wonderful rest of your week!